SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND LEARN HOW TO ADVANCE YOUR CAREER IN THE SPORTS INDUSTRY FROM TOP EXECUTIVES
It is not uncommon to see most top European football clubs playing lucrative glamour friendlies around the world during the pre-season. Most of these matches take place in Asia and North America, two of the fastest-growing markets in football. To win the hearts and minds of the fans in these regions clubs are customizing their digital content to connect and engage with international fans throughout the year.
One way of directly engaging with international fans is through the official club websites. At SBI, our research team recently conducted a study where we analyzed the websites of Europe’s top clubs to determine how many languages they had available on their official websites.
The following infographic shows the clubs with the most languages available on their official websites. Manchester City is the club with most languages available followed by Zenit St. Petersburg and FC Barcelona.
1. Since English is the international language it is no surprise that all 20 clubs offer their website in English
2. The China effect is evident as 18 of the 20 clubs have a Chinese version of their site. Only AS Roma and Borussia Dortmund miss out.
3. Surprisingly only two English clubs have a version in Spanish. (Manchester United and Manchester City)
4. Bayern Munich is the only Bundesliga club with a version in Arabic.
5. Ten clubs in this review have a version in Indonesian. It is no surprise as clubs such as Liverpool, AS Roma, Arsenal and Chelsea have all held a pre-season games there in recent years.
Research for this article was conducted by David Haimovich, Marketing Assistant at the Sports Business Institute Barcelona. If you have any comments or questions about this post feel free to contact him at email@example.com. You can also follow him on Twitter at: @HaimovichDavid.
Start Date: 23 October 2017 | Duration : 8 Months
Get the qualification to start or advance your career in the football industry. Learn the business skills to work in football and network with top industry professionals. Request information here.